This Page

has been moved to new address

The Dough Also Rises

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Misadventures of Mrs. B: The Dough Also Rises

Cook. Writer. Wife. Daughter. Sister. Friend. Klutz.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Dough Also Rises

Sigh.

I really, really want to post pictures of my vacation, including the FOOD pictures (of which there are many), but stupid Blogger is turning them all sideways.  It's evidently a problem for a lot of people, but there's no solution that I've found yet.  Sigh again.

Til I figure it out, I will tell you about my attempts at making bread.

The first time I made bread from scratch was several months ago.  I was feeling especially sassy that day, if I remember correctly.  I'd always been afraid of making anything involving yeast before - quick breads were always more my style.  You know, cornbread, banana bread, stuff like that.  But bread bread? Eh, I wasn't so sure.

Then came my sassy day when I decided to buy some yeast and get it over with.  And it went pretty well, all told.  I made two big loaves and Rob said it looked like a butt.  Which it did.  But it was a tasty butt.  There are pictures of this endeavor on my Facebook page under Cooking Projects.

I made more bread on the day I made the bouef bourguignon.  Yes, I was feeling rather ambitious that day.  So I got started again.




The first kneading is my least favorite part.  When it's all coming together into a dough and it's still all sticky...yuck.



But eventually it was more dough-like and smooth so I coated it in olive oil and set it in the bowl near the Crock Pot to rise...and rise...and rise...



 


It was like the Dough That Ate My Counter.  I took a picture and beat it into submission before it ate me or something.


The second rising was even bigger.  I divided it into three loaves, instead of two, and scored them.  Once they rose one more time, into the oven they went, along with hot water into a preheated pan underneath the cookie sheet to make it crustier.



And out they came! I was pretty happy with the outcome, and lord knows Rob ate it like there was no tomorrow.  But I noticed that there was a difference in taste from last time.  It tastes like a pretzel.  Marcie, if you're reading this...do you know why it tastes like a pretzel? (I'm only asking Marcie because I know Marcie bakes a lot...if anyone else knows, feel free to speak up!) I mean, hey, pretzels are good.  But not when you're looking for italian bread.  Well, either way, there's still a loaf in the freezer and since the first one froze so well I'm sure the other one will be just as good the second time around!



Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger TheGirl said...

Mmmm... I made a version of Macaroni Grill's infamous bread some time ago. It too had a faint pretzel taste. I think it has to do with the recipe more than anything. A different one I tried tasted like sourdough. I'll have to send you the Macaroni Grill recipe... it's amazing. And F kneading... I throw the dough hook on the ol' Kitchen Aid and let it do my dirty work.

October 18, 2009 at 1:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

I'm writing for you. I'm speaking to you.

So I would like to hear from you in return. Did that story make you laugh, or think? Does that recipe look good? Do you relate to me or totally disagree?

Let me hear what YOU think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home