This Page

has been moved to new address

Christmas (happy now?*)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Misadventures of Mrs. B: Christmas (happy now?*)

Cook. Writer. Wife. Daughter. Sister. Friend. Klutz.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas (happy now?*)

My favorite Christmas things, in no particular order:
1. The Christmas Song (Nat King Cole version)




The opening of this song affects me like no other piece of music, ever. As soon as the first two notes sound, my breath catches in my throat. I just love it. It says "Christmas" to me in a way nothing else can. It's just not the season til I hear this song, and even in the middle of June I can start it up and that opening calms whatever's going on inside. The entire album is a classic for me, but this song is special.
Odds that this is on repeat on my iPod right now: Very, very good


2. "Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown"




There's nothing I can say about this other than it's something I look forward to as soon as December rolls around. I have to say, and I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but there were a couple of things that were cut out of this year's broadcast. I was heartily disappointed by that. You can't cut a classic!
Favorite part: Linus's explanation of what Christmas is all about




3. Cookies




Cookies, cookies, cookies. Every year I plan what to make. Every year I decide I'm going to try to be different and get outside my comfort zone. Every year I make almost the same cookies. Why? Because it's what I know works. Sometimes you just need to go with what works. Too much in life is up to chance, after all. Cookies shouldn't be one of those things.
Personal favorite: Peanut butter cup


4. Christmas movies

Who doesn't like Christmas movies?









And it's funny, when you think about it - "It's a Wonderful Life" isn't really a Christmas movie. It just happens to feature Christmas in the final 1/3 of the movie. But it's my favorite. The movie all others strive to live up to. It's also a very long movie and I need to put it on early in the evening if I'm going to make it all the way through.




Likelihood of me crying at the end of "It's a Wonderful Life": Extremely high


5. Christmas decorations




In mentioning this, I am specifically referring to two things: Christmas trees and outdoor décor.
You can be the least creative person on your block but when it comes down to it, Christmas time is an opportunity to express your inner artistic genius. Or show off. Or both!
I love going down the street and just looking around at what people decided would be the best way to show their Christmas spirit. Or show off. Or both.
Bonus points if: Your Christmas tree is visible through your front window - I love that!!

6. Cooking
But I can (and do) cook any day of the year. Moving on...


7. Eating
And having an excuse to do so.


8. Presents (giving AND receiving)

I mean, seriously, of course presents are awesome. Yes, being with family and friends is really what it's all about. But presents are cool also.


Anyway, those are just a few of the things I love about the season.  I have a bunch of pics on my phone that I hope to upload and feature in this blog...you know, before Christmas is over...


* You know who you are!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I'm writing for you. I'm speaking to you.

So I would like to hear from you in return. Did that story make you laugh, or think? Does that recipe look good? Do you relate to me or totally disagree?

Let me hear what YOU think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home