This Page

has been moved to new address

A Loose Woman

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Misadventures of Mrs. B: A Loose Woman

Cook. Writer. Wife. Daughter. Sister. Friend. Klutz.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Loose Woman

I'm putting my foot down.

On what, you ask? On my chronic book purchasing.

First it was just your normal bookstore obsession. Then I became obsessed with buying uber-cheap books from the thrift shop. Then the thrift shop moved to a bigger location which is not anywhere near the train station, which was the only reason I started going there in the first place.  It was so convenient to pop in there and kill time if I missed my bus home.  So what if while killing time I could also score a half dozen books for less than $4.00? But the fun ended back in September when they had the audacity to move away.

Tears were shed upon this discovery.

Now I'm back to the bookstore obsession. But after buying a couple of books with Christmas gift cards, it occurred to me:

I have so many partially-read books it's not even funny.  Like, a lot of them.

When did this happen? When did I start picking up and reading books that I supersupersuper wanted...only until the next book I supersupersuper want came along? When did I become so loose with my affections?

And that's just it.  When it comes to books, I am a loose woman.

From what I can tell, I have at least 6 partials, including a biography of Benjamin Franklin, Team of Rivals about Lincoln and his cabinet, a book on the Johnstown Flood, a book on the Civil War and its beginnings and World Without End, the sequel to Pillars of the Earth.  There are also two Terry Pratchett books which Rob bought recently and probably a few other books that my father-in-law gave me a couple years back when he was cleaning out his own collection.  Except for the one on the flood, the other partials in my collection are all pretty big books.  Pretty DARN big, actually.  And they all deserve my love.  I should see our relationship through.

I have seen the light.  I am ready to give up my loose and wanton ways.

Therefore, in 2010 I am going to make it a point to finish reading all of my partially-read books before I buy any new ones.  I should be a busy girl for a long time!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

Oh I love that idea. But I also figure if a book is boring I just don't bother anymore. Life is too short to spend time on a bad read!

January 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM

 
Blogger MrsJenB said...

You know what, I totally agree with you. There have been several books in my sundry past (haha) which have just not grabbed me at all within the first few chapters, so I put them down. But sometimes when I revisit them I find something new about them, or maybe it just wasn't the right time for them. We'll see!

January 8, 2010 at 10:34 AM

 
Blogger Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

Hey, you can reach me via lemonademakinmama@comcast.net or at sashabrodeur@comcast.net

Thanks!
Sasha

January 8, 2010 at 1:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

I'm writing for you. I'm speaking to you.

So I would like to hear from you in return. Did that story make you laugh, or think? Does that recipe look good? Do you relate to me or totally disagree?

Let me hear what YOU think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home