This Page

has been moved to new address

Bolognese Redux: Part I

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Misadventures of Mrs. B: Bolognese Redux: Part I

Cook. Writer. Wife. Daughter. Sister. Friend. Klutz.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bolognese Redux: Part I

Friends, I would like to tell you a tale.

Actually, a retelling.  A retelling of a certain pasta sauce which has captured the imaginations of, well, me and my husband.

Its name? Bolognese.

I did a post on this sauce a while back but, well, I hate the pictures in it.  So I took pictures the last time I made it.


Take your lovely, wonderful. flavorful veggies...


...and chop them up really, really fine in your food processor.  In the pre-processor days I would use a grater.  It took...a long time.

Brown this wonderfulness in a big pot with olive oil.

Meanwhile, brown this as well:


I have found that pouring as much of the fat off as possible aids in the browning process.  Took me long enough, didn't it?

Add your meat in with your now-browned veggies and mix 'em all together.  Then plop in 12 ounces of this:


I just love tomato paste.  It's so red and vibrant.

Once the paste is also brown and possibly sticking to the bottom of the pot, it's time to add the bestest ingredient of all...


Red, red wiiiiiiine....sing it with me now. 

I normally add around a cup but you can add more, or none at all - I've made this without wine and had no problems in the past.

Along with the wine goes 3 cups of water, along with thyme and bay leaves and salt and pepper (this sauce needs plenty of salt for seasoning.  Trust me).  That boils down and thickens, then another 3 cups are added and that, too, is cooked down.  Yes, it takes some time.  But boy is it worth it!!

So that's Part I of my two-parter regarding this nectar of the gods.  Soon you'll see that, while this goes really well over pasta (and oh boy, does it - preferably with a little splash of olive oil on top), there are other applications for it as well.  Wonderful, aromatic and quite possibly cheesy applications.

So stay tuned!

YUM!



Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger triciathomas said...

I love your cute blog!! Looks like it's going to be delish!

http://tricias-take.blogspot.com/

April 27, 2010 at 9:57 PM

 
Blogger GardenOfDaisies said...

Sounds really yummy! Ummmm!

April 27, 2010 at 11:03 PM

 
Blogger Katinka said...

Stopping by from SITS and wishing you a great Wednesday!!!! :)

April 28, 2010 at 9:26 AM

 
Blogger Angie said...

You won the Sunshine Award!
http://angieshealthylivingblog.blogspot.com/

April 28, 2010 at 11:45 AM

 
Blogger Brian + Cheryl B. said...

Hi Jen :->
I am going to admit this to you, seeings how I KNOW that you will 'get it' and have a good chuckle over it.

Every time I come across the word "Bolognese", at first my brain registers it as Bologna. Yes, every time.

My dad loved him some bologna!! (don't know if he still does or not ...) Saturday mornings he'd head to the store and every Sat. for lunch we'd have bologna sandwiches. He also loved bologna salad! He'd buy ring bologna and a big box of Velveeta cheese. We'd get out the hand crank meat grinder and grind chunks of them up together. When done, miracle whip and sweet pickle relish got added. Smear a piece of bread about a half inch thick with the bologna salad, top it with another piece of bread, and enjoy with the potato chips which dad also bought cuz mom didn't think they were good for us ;-p

Hum mmm, I wonder how your Bolognese redux would turn out using bologna instead of ground beef o;-p chuckle, chuckle ....

You hadn't posted in a couple of days ... everything all right?

April 28, 2010 at 11:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and say hello on my special SITS day.

April 28, 2010 at 12:11 PM

 
Anonymous shannon (the daily balance) said...

this looks amazing! thank you so much for sharing, now I have dinner covered at least one night this week! ;)

April 28, 2010 at 12:53 PM

 
Blogger Mimi said...

A very tasty looking sauce.
Mimi

April 28, 2010 at 1:10 PM

 
Blogger Sabrina said...

Ok so your blog is making me VERY hungry! Love it! Thanks for stopping by my neck of the woods!

April 28, 2010 at 10:13 PM

 
Blogger Natasha in Oz said...

Looks good! I sneak vegetables into everything I cook too!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

May 1, 2010 at 8:01 AM

 
Blogger Cass @ That Old House said...

wonderful recipe for Bolognese!
This one is a keeper.
Cass

May 2, 2010 at 3:21 PM

 
Blogger threesidesofcrazy said...

Looks perfect! I've snuck carrots and mushrooms into to my bolegnese sauce for years!

May 3, 2010 at 12:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

I'm writing for you. I'm speaking to you.

So I would like to hear from you in return. Did that story make you laugh, or think? Does that recipe look good? Do you relate to me or totally disagree?

Let me hear what YOU think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home