This Page

has been moved to new address

Julia Child's Brown Braised Onions

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Misadventures of Mrs. B: Julia Child's Brown Braised Onions

Cook. Writer. Wife. Daughter. Sister. Friend. Klutz.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Julia Child's Brown Braised Onions

To me, nothing says "happy warm times when it's cold and yucky outside" like a nice stew.  Don't you agree?

Well, I guess it doesn't matter if you agree or not.  I mean, I can't imagine that you wouldn't, but that doesn't affect this post.

As I was saying, cold temps = yummy stew.  So I made one over the past weekend.  Boeuf Bourguignon, in fact.  Yeah, I went there.  While there are already onions in that and, well, just about any stew, I like a side of braised onions as well.  Of course they go super well with the stew, but they make a fabulous little side dish with just about anything as far as I'm concerned.  They are sooooo good!

This is my variation of Julia Child's brown braised onion recipe.  Julia uses only 1/2 cup of liquid, allowing it to completely cook down, and adds a cheesecloth bundled herb bouquet.  But I like the additional sauce my variation lends the onions, and I don't often have cheesecloth around to simmer herbs in, so I generally skip it.


Did it take me a while to peel all these onions? Why yes.  It did.  But it was worth it!

2 tbs of butter gets melted in a pan over medium heat, then 2 tbs of oil are added.  The onions go in the pan and are tossed around gently so they can brown.


Then the liquids are added.  I used beef stock and white wine this time, but red wine adds a great flavor (and color!), and of course you could just double the stock and not use wine at all.  The pan is covered and the onions gently simmer in the liquid, on low heat, for 40 minutes.  Then the lid is removed and the rest of the liquid simmers until reduced to a nice syrupy consistency.


Trust me when I say that you will not want to waste a single drop of that rich, flavorful, syrupy sauce.  A little salt, a little pepper, and you're all set.  Sweet onion heaven.


Seriously, it does not get better than this.  It's like candy.  


Now, if you'll excuse me.  I have some leftover braised onions to snack on.

Braised Onions
Around 2 dozen pearl onions, peeled
2 tbs butter
2 tbs oil (I used EVOO in this case)
1/2 cup beef stock
1/2 cup red or white wine (optional - can use 1 cup stock instead)
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in large pan over medium heat, then add oil.  Pour in onions and toss gently around pan, allowing them to brown.  Add liquids and allow to simmer on low, covered, for 40 minutes.  Uncover pan and allow liquid to continue reducing until syrupy in consistency.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

What do you like to prepare when it's nasty outside? Soup? Roasts? Stews? What's your favorite?

Do you like onions? Because I have another onion-heavy recipe coming up soon! It's, well, to die for.

Sharing with Somewhat SimpleIt's A Keeper, House of Hepworths, Life as Mom, Miz Helen's Country Cottage, Prairie Story, A Glimpse Inside, 504 Main, Tidy Mom, Simply Sweet Home & Designs by Gollum - stop by and see what others are creating!

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger The Redhead Riter said...

Looks quite delish! Very rich!

I love to cook and the moment I hear the name Julia Child's, I can hear her talking in my head. She was and still is such an inspiration to cooks everywhere.

February 1, 2011 at 11:11 PM

 
Blogger Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

It looks like candy! I think cooking onions smell wonderful too. Nice on a cold day.

February 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM

 
Blogger Jenny Lynn said...

This looks so yummy, I can't wait to share this recipe with my hubby. He does most of the cooking at our house. I think this is something He and I would love. Now the kiddos on the other hand, may not.

cute blog!Skipped over from blogfrog.

February 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM

 
Anonymous redkathy said...

Beautiful onions, and great for a stew. Although I like them very much, but not as a snack. Don't mind me, you go and eat your yummies!

February 2, 2011 at 9:55 PM

 
Blogger Jo-Anna@APrettyLife said...

Mmm. Yummy!
Jo-Anna

February 3, 2011 at 10:31 AM

 
Blogger Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

I like a tiny bit of onions but I'm sure these are very good. Thanks so much for linking up! :)

February 3, 2011 at 5:24 PM

 
Blogger annies home said...

these sound great think the next time I make a meat and potato meal I will try this out

February 3, 2011 at 8:54 PM

 
Blogger Miz Helen said...

Hi Jen,
Your Stew looks so good I can almost smell it. I really would love a serving of this. Thank you so much for bringing it to Full Plate Thursday on this cold winter day. You have a great week end and please come back!

February 3, 2011 at 9:27 PM

 
Blogger Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I can't live without onions - bring them on!

:)
ButterYum

February 4, 2011 at 12:22 PM

 
Blogger Holly Lefevre said...

I pretty much love onions...this looks amazing. My hubby loves onions too (one of the "veggies" he considers necessary - I use veggie loosely)

February 4, 2011 at 1:56 PM

 
Anonymous Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

This looks delicious. I'm going to have to try it because I love those little pearl onions.

February 4, 2011 at 7:13 PM

 
Blogger Rattlebridge Farm said...

I'm Tweeting about your wonderful post. Thanks for participating in Foodie Friday!

February 5, 2011 at 3:17 PM

 
Blogger Amy said...

These braised onions look delicious! I think I can have a big bowl/pot of these.

February 5, 2011 at 6:09 PM

 
Blogger Miz Helen said...

Congratulations you are featured on Full Plate Thursday this week 2-10-11. You can stop by and pick up your Red Plate.

February 9, 2011 at 8:10 PM

 
Blogger DANA said...

That looks really good! I am just getting to where I love onions! If you have not been by yet, I would love for you to come link up! Every month the best link gets prizes!

http://www.thesaturdaymorningsblog.com/2011/02/strut-your-stuff-for-february-round-2.html

February 11, 2011 at 3:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

I'm writing for you. I'm speaking to you.

So I would like to hear from you in return. Did that story make you laugh, or think? Does that recipe look good? Do you relate to me or totally disagree?

Let me hear what YOU think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home