This Page

has been moved to new address

Painting the Town Red and Green

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Misadventures of Mrs. B: Painting the Town Red and Green

Cook. Writer. Wife. Daughter. Sister. Friend. Klutz.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Painting the Town Red and Green

How excited am I?

About what, you ask? Well, I'll tell ya.  I'm excited because this weekend, Rob and I are going to spend time together in the best city I know - Philadelphia.

You may remember that we spent a weekend there over the summer, hanging out with friends and just generally enjoying the time together without having to answer to anyone else.  It was pretty awesome, and something we knew we had to do again (if only for the Heavenly Bed and Heavenly Shower at the Westin.  Seriously, have you ever experienced them? Because if not I'd dare to say that you haven't lived.  It's just that amazing.).

I love Philly so much.  I can't describe the feeling very articulately.  It's just where I was born and raised, the skyline I know by heart, the city I'm insanely proud of for all the times it tries (even if it doesn't always succeed).

It's the place that, whenever I visited somewhere else (including NYC), I missed and wanted to return to.  It's home and it always will be.

So on Saturday and Sunday we paint the town red...and green, since we're going to try to see as many Christmas-y things as we can.  First up is two tickets to Holiday Pops, which is always fun (they have a gospel choir that is so good I swear I wanna jump up and sing along)...then we hope to get a chance to visit Christmas Village at City Hall, and my favorite...


I haven't seen the light show at Macy's since it was the light show at Wannamaker's (maybe it was already Lord & Taylor at that time...who can tell?).  It's simple enough - a whole wall of lights in the shape of animals, Christmas characters and snowflakes blinks in time to music and narration by none other than Julie Andrews.  Compared to more hi-tech spectacles this may seem...pedestrian.

But it is so.not.even.  It's magical.  There's something about the music and the lights, and seeing the awestruck faces of the little guys all around, that resonates in the soul.  Plus it's pretty.  And Rob's never seen it.  So I'm really looking forward to seeing it again.

We would love, like looooove, to visit the Italian Market as well.  We went last year and had a blast even though it was, like, 2 degrees outside with constant icy winds.  I hope that this time around we can take more time to enjoy it without suffering hypothermia.  All the spices, fresh meats and seafood, cheese and produce I can get my hands on.  It's a dangerous scenario, actually.  Seriously, y'all would have a fit down there.


How could you not be happy around all this olive oil? How??

Regardless of whether or not I get to frolic in the Christmas Village, or drool over the multitude of beautiful food shops in South Philly, or get a good night's sleep in a Heavenly Bed*, it matters not.  The important thing is spending time with Rob and taking a breather from the madness of the holidays.

That's what it's all about.

*I better get a good night's sleep in that bed.  I was totally lying about it not mattering.

How about you? Any special plans for the holiday season?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I'm writing for you. I'm speaking to you.

So I would like to hear from you in return. Did that story make you laugh, or think? Does that recipe look good? Do you relate to me or totally disagree?

Let me hear what YOU think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home