This Page

has been moved to new address

Cookbook Lovin'

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Misadventures of Mrs. B: Cookbook Lovin'

Cook. Writer. Wife. Daughter. Sister. Friend. Klutz.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Cookbook Lovin'

I love cookbooks.  Don't you?

Well, maybe you don't.  And that's okay.  I love them enough for the both of us.

I have a few favorites in my collection.  Like, books I've carried around and read as if they were texts.  Plus there are a few finds that I've picked up in thrift stores just for the heck of it.



Where it all began! I was so happy to find this in the thrift store - I think I picked it up for 35 cents or something equally ridiculous.  I have loved looking through this so much - some recipes really take me back to a certain time and place, whereas others remind me of how timeless a good, simple recipe can be.



This is another amazing, amazing thrift store find - the ORIGINAL Weight Watchers cookbook! I just had to buy it! I can't say enough how amazing this is.  It features the original rules, including the utter absence of what we now refer to as 'healthy fats'.  It was a very strict guideline - eat this much of this, that and the other thing, and NONE of all of this...and you'll be thin! Hey, it must've worked for enough people - they're still around today! I had a blast looking through this one but have not cooked any of the recipes inside. 



This was an impulse buy on our last vacation.  I have yet to try any of the recipes, but I think it would make a certain husband of mine very happy if I did!



As much as I can't stand her overuse of cleavage (call me jealous - I don't care), some of Giada's recipes resonate with me.  Certainly not the 'pasta with butter and parmesan cheese' recipe (seriously, THAT'S in a cookbook??? Well slap a hat on me and call me Chef).  But many of the others are just great.  And she does make a good point - in order to eat pasta and still stay slim, just eat less of it.  Italians often eat pasta as a first course, not by the plateful.  What a strange concept for me.

I'm always looking for a reason to cook pasta or look at pictures of pasta or even THINK of pasta.  So this was a much-appreciate bridal shower gift!



Nigella.  My soul sister.  We are truly kindred spirits.


Drool.  The photography in this book is gorgeous.  Her Moonblush Tomatoes changed my life.  I love her.

And the granddaddy of 'em all...


Gosh I love this book.  I cannot express it clearly enough.  I'm serious when I say that Boeuf Bourguignon has changed my life.  (*Note to self: Make Boeuf Bourguignon very soon*) I was looking through this one earlier tonight for some inspiration - I think I'm going to try the Queen of Sheba cake this weekend.  Wish me luck!

So what about you? Do you have a favorite cookbook?


Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow - what a collection! I too love cookbooks! My absolute favorite on is the trusty old Betty Crocker cookbook - you know the three ring binder! Love it! In fact I love cookbooks so much I started a blog just for cookbook reviews - you should check it out - http://cookingupreviews.blogspot.com

April 12, 2010 at 10:01 PM

 
Blogger GardenOfDaisies said...

My favorite cookbook is our family cookbook that we put together about 12 years ago. It has three generations of family favorites in it.

April 12, 2010 at 10:16 PM

 
Blogger Maria M. Boyer said...

"Betty Crocker's Cookbook" is my very favorite, Jen. Though I like my mother's 1955 copy much better than my 1986 version. ; )

April 12, 2010 at 10:38 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

HAHAHAHA

"Slap a hat on me and call me Chef!"

That was priceless! Thanks for the laugh. And just for the record- I'm jealous of Giada too (but not b/c of clevage--because she's so skinny!)

April 12, 2010 at 10:44 PM

 
Blogger Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love cookbooks. My Mom always loved cookbooks and would buy them all the time and still does. She would read them like a book. I guess I inherited that from her. Favorite? Hmmmm can't decide so many have hit home with me at different times in my life. The poor years, the single years, the diet years and now the cooking for two years...well sometimes cooking!

April 13, 2010 at 12:54 AM

 
Blogger threesidesofcrazy said...

I don't have a favorite because they are ALL my favorites, but I'm an avid collector. My brother gets me a new one each year that is so unique I always have to sit down and read it like a novel, literally front to back and all at once!

April 13, 2010 at 1:04 AM

 
Blogger ~Isabel said...

...and to think that i thought i was the only one to read cookbooks!

Here's my favorite's (right now...anyway!)

~Pioneer Woman Cooks (LOVE THIS ONE!)
~Everyday Italian (Giada)
~Kitchen Playdates (Lauren Deen)
~The Great Christmas Cookie Swap Cookbook (Good Housekeepin...i know, i know, it's a cookie book but i love cookies!)
~Are You Hungry, Dear? (Doris Roberts...a book about her life and each chapter ends with a recipe!)
~Any church cook books! You can find some gems of recipes in those books!
~The Betty Crocker Cookbook (it was my Mom's...)

...and i'm waiting on my Cooking Light Cook Book!

April 13, 2010 at 11:35 AM

 
Blogger mrs. c said...

I have about 30 cookbooks, Nigella, Julia, and the Jr. League of several big cities are my favorites. I even write nores in the margins!

April 13, 2010 at 11:19 PM

 
Anonymous Kita said...

I do love me some cookbooks. I usually hunt them down used online - end up paying waaay more in shipping then I did for the book. But I have... well, we'll just say I have a collection.
Cute site! Stopping by from SITS.

April 16, 2010 at 9:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

I'm writing for you. I'm speaking to you.

So I would like to hear from you in return. Did that story make you laugh, or think? Does that recipe look good? Do you relate to me or totally disagree?

Let me hear what YOU think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home